HM Design is a unique one-of-a-kind planning and design firm which practices it’s very own quadruple bottom line philosophy – one that balances economic, environmental, social and spiritual aspects for every project.
The firm began in Nairobi, Kenya in 1990 as a traditional Architecture and Landscape Architectural practice but is now based in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and has now metamorphosized into a specialty eco-planning and eco-design office. The President, Hitesh Mehta has built projects and consulted in over 55 countries spanning six continents and is a multi-international award winner in the fields of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Environmental planning, Urban Planning and Design, Interior Design and Photography.
Design in this global age of heightened cultural and environmental sensitivity needs to be all-encompassing and holistic in nature and sustainable in all aspects of the planning and design process. In every project, HM Design tries to create an eco-plan or eco-design that have never been created before. Each plan and design is a response to the local context: physical, metaphysical and cultural.
All HM Design projects have a respect for animals, plants, local people and the spirit of the place. The approach right from the outset is that of Low-impact development. This stewardship-motto of taking care of Mother Earth and all the species that inhabit on it begins right on day one and continues into Construction Supervision.
Hitesh sees his Firm’s work as an opportunity to improve the earth for all. Greatly influenced by Gandhi’s spiritual and moral principles, HM Design strives every single day to be “the change it wishes to see in the world.”
HM Design professes:
- Egoless design – More eco, less ego!
- Integrated, multi-disciplinary and participatory approaches in the planning and design process and one which recognizes local knowledge and uses it wisely in the design. HM Design has over the years championed the concept of local empowerment through participatory planning.
- Substance over aesthetics– A Plan or Design that is not only beautiful design but which is also economically, socially, environmentally and spiritually sustainable.
HM Design Projects also consider:
- Use of alternative technologies – solar, wind, thermal, low-wattage light fittings, roof gardens, non-HFC air conditioners.
- Use of water conservation techniques – rainwater harvesting, grey-water irrigation, no-water toilets, low—flo showers, tap-aerators etc.
- Use of environmentally friendly sewage systems that do not pollute the groundwater
- Use of native plant species because exotics use up a lot of water and can be invasive.
- Use of environmentally friendly materials not only for the landscape and building but for the interiors eg. recycled carpets, non-voc paints, organic 100% cotton for the linens etc.
- Use of local labor and materials thereby helping benefit local communities and economies.
- Use of local indigenous wisdom and knowledge in the initial site analysis and planning stages.
- Use of the four principles of Solid Waste Reduction – Reuse, Recycle, Reduce and Refuse.
- The spiritual energy that in embodied or flows through the site